Options for FMGE/MCI failed medical graduates

FMGE/MCI Failed Foreign Medical Graduates


Foreign Medical Graduates

Foreign Medical Graduate (FMG), is a physician who has graduated from a medical school outside of the country where he or she intends to practice. Generally, the medical school of graduation is one listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) as accredited by the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research or the World Health Organization.

A mismatch in number of medical aspirants and available seats, intense competition and unaffordable costs of medical education prompt many Indian students to pursue training opportunities abroad. Many later return to India, and these foreign medical graduates (FMGs) must pass a qualification test which is a required to practice medicine in India.

Foreign Medical Graduate Examination/MCI Screening

In order to enter the Indian health system, IMG physicians must pass the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE) screening test conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE). The NBE was established in 1975 with a motive of standardising post-graduate medical education in India. Since 1982, the NBE has functioned as an independent, autonomous body for the field of medical sciences broadly. Its principal goal is to improve the quality of medical education by elevating the level of education and establishing threshold standards for post-graduate medical examinations.

As per the FMGE screening test 2002 regulations, “An Indian citizen possessing a primary medical qualification awarded by any medical institution outside India who is desirous of getting provisional or permanent registration with the MCI or any State Medical Council on or after 15.03.2002 shall have to qualify a screening test conducted by the prescribed authority for that purpose as per the provisions of section 13 of the Act.”

Why do so many foreign MBBS degree holders fail in the MCI test to practice in India?

Options for FMGE/MCI failed medical graduates

Foreign Medical graduates who failed in clearing FMGE/MCI screening test have the following options:

FMGE Exam is conducted twice a year. Next exam is scheduled for June/Dec of the following year. Work hard and clear the examination


Those who want to expand their knowledge or want to take further Post Graduate programs in UK. We offer range of Medical Post Graduate programs in the following specialities

  • Cardiology
  • Gastroenterology
  • Diabetes
  • Radio Diagnosis
  • Oncology
  • Clinical Embryology and assisted conception
  • Dermatology
  • Orthopaedics


Completed their Internship Abroad:

IMG who have completed their internship (China Medical Graduates) can apply to these courses and study for 1 or 2 years (depending upon course duration). They will have the opportunity to get trained and update their knowledge in world class universities and research centres. To be eligible for Membership of concerned Royal College, one needs to have at least on year of experience in concerned speciality. These Post Graduate programs being clinical in nature not only prepares IMG upto the UK standards but also opens opportunities for MRCP, MRCS, MRCR etc. respectively.

These Membership Of Royal Colleges entitles IMG to License to practice in UK along with its validity in 147 countries across the globe. IMG with this qualification can get MCI Screening exemtion in India too.

Haven’t completed their Internship:

IMG who haven’t completed their internship can also take these programs but they have to complete their internship (F1 Training in UK) to be eligible for Membership of concerned Royal College.

For more clarification feel free to contact us


7 thoughts on “Options for FMGE/MCI failed medical graduates”

  1. I completed md program in Philippine not yet cleared screening test in July sessions
    Pls suggest me the way to get residency program in U.K. With out plab

  2. I have completed 6 year medical UG from Kyrgyzstan ( Russia) if I want to do PG education or job without appering fmge . Plz kindly guide me

  3. I have completed 6 year medical undergraduate programme from Smolensk,Russia.If I want to pursue higher pg education without appearing for FMFE like you mentioned in this Article in UK what do I have to do.Please kindly guide me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *